Center for Community Studies
The Center for Community Studies at Jefferson Community College was established in October 1999 and has continuously engaged in community-building and research activities since its formation that simultaneously benefit the community, the students, the faculty, and the College – the “Win-Win-Win-Win Situation”. The Center conducts research that will benefit the local population, and engages in activities that reflect its commitment to enhancing the quality of life of the area.
The Center for Community Studies at Jefferson Community College is a highly valued community resource recognized for its integrity and commitment to enhancing the quality of life of the North Country.
The Center for Community Studies at Jefferson Community College supports and facilitates a wide range of community-building and educational activities that engage the community. In collaboration with community partners, The Center conducts unbiased community-based research and provides a forum for the productive discussion of ideas and issues of significance to the community.
Goals and Values
The Center’s activities and goals reflect its values and commitment to enhancing the quality of life of the North Country.
- To engage in the proactive and deliberate exchange of information between groups and individuals working for the community good.
- To promote active learning and encourage future leadership for Jefferson Community College faculty and students through the provision of research services to the community.
- To conduct high-quality independent research and analysis on issues of importance to the community, as identified by the Advisory Board or as funded by external organizations.
- To track and disseminate community indicators for knowledge-based decision-making in our region.
- To stimulate debate and dialog through community forums and presentations by recognized leaders on local, state and national issues of significance to the region.
- To achieve fiscal independence for organizational sustainability.
- Educational Excellence. We will uphold the College’s commitment to academic excellence in all of our activities.
- Integrity. We will do what is right, legally and morally.
- Objectivity. We are committed to maintaining a neutral point of view, independent of outside influence.
- Scientific Analysis. We will utilize rigorous scientific analysis in all research endeavors.
- Flexibility. We will maintain flexibility to be responsive to timely issues.
- Student Learning. We will never lose sight of the valuable role The Center plays in facilitating student learning through hands-on application.
- Commitment to the North Country. We are aligned with the North Country community served by Jefferson Community College.
Annual Surveys of the Community
Jefferson County Annual Surveys - Summary of Final Reports
19th Annual Jefferson County Survey of the Community: Summary of Findings
To find out what we are working on or to receive copies of past reports. Please contact us directly.
Contact the Center for Community Studies
Research director, Center for Community Studies
Professor of mathematics
Jefferson Community College
1220 Coffeen Street
Watertown, New York 13601
Research coordinator, Center for Community Studies
Assistant professor of mathematics
Jefferson Community College