Health Care Management AS
- Program Type: Transfer
- Delivery: On-campus
- Personal Interests: Health care, management, business
- Skill Building: Leadership, research, analysis
- Career Options: Health care, management
- Program Code: HEGIS 5004
Prepare for your future in health care management—starting with an associate’s degree from Jefferson
The Health Care Management A.S. degree program is designed to prepare the student for transfer to a four-year institution. The program includes liberal arts courses to provide a broad-based general education, plus technology and business courses to enhance the foundational component in health care. This degree is appropriate for students who wish to pursue positions with hospitals, physicians’ offices, clinics, rehabilitation centers, long-term care facilities, and numerous other types of healthcare-related facilities.
This program offers:
- Understanding of healthcare law and ethical principles in the context of the healthcare environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form and have the specialized vocabulary utilized in the healthcare industry.
- Ability to motivate, lead individuals and teams in a healthcare setting.
- Identify current issues and trends affecting the U.S. healthcare delivery system and strategies to address the issues.
- Basic knowledge of healthcare finance and efficient use of resources.
Contact Enrollment Services for Application and Admissions Information
(315) 786-2437, fax (315) 786-2349 or toll free (888) 435-6522
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Friday
Transfer to the bachelor’s program of your choice
Formal transfer agreements have been made with SUNY Canton for their B.S. in Health Care Management which can be completed 100% online and SUNY Empire for their B.S. in Business, Management and Economics with a concentration in Health Care Management. Students may also choose to complete their bachelor’s degree in Health Services Administration here on campus through the Jefferson Higher Education Center with Bryant & Stratton College.
Degree requirements for Health Care Management A.S.
Effective Spring 2020
|Health Care Requirements (12 credit hours)||Credit Hours|
|HCM 101: Introduction to Health Care Management||3|
|HCM 110: Introduction to the U.S. Healthcare System||3|
|HCM 220: Health Care Financing||3|
|OFC 245: Medical Terminology||3|
|Accounting and Business Requirements (16 credit hours)||Credit Hours|
|ACC 101: Accounting Principles I||4|
|BUS 131: Principles of Management||3|
|BUS 160: Spreadsheet Applications||3|
|BUS 211: Business Law I||3|
|BUS 221: Human Resource Management||3|
|Liberal Arts Requirements (34 credit hours)||Credit Hours|
|ECO 101: Macroeconomics||3|
|ENG 101: Research and Composition||3|
|ENG 220: Creative Writing||3|
|MTH 144: Elementary Statistics or
MTH 165: College Algebra and Trigonometry or higher
|PSY 133: Introduction to Psychology||3|
|SOC 144: Introduction to Sociology||3|
|Lab Science Elective2||4|
|Liberal Arts Elective||3|
|Social Science Elective4||3|
Total Credit Hours 62
|1Select from the areas of Humanities or Foreign Language in the SUNY General Education Course List.
2Select from the area of Natural Sciences in the SUNY General Education Course List.
3Select from the areas of Mathematics or Natural Sciences in the SUNY General Education Course List.
4Select from the areas of American History, Western Civilization or Other World Civilization in the SUNY General Education Course List.