Who We Are
Jefferson Community College is located in Watertown, New York, the county seat of the College’s sponsor, Jefferson County. We are nestled in the northern section of New York State, at the junction of Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River.
Established on November 7, 1961, Jefferson Community College was the area’s first institution of higher education and remains the only college with a physical campus facilities within a 50-mile radius of Watertown. One of 30 community colleges within the State University of New York (SUNY) system, we currently serve approximately 2,500 students from Jefferson, Lewis, Oswego and St. Lawrence counties, from around the state and even from around the world. Given our close proximity to Fort Drum, Jefferson is proud to serve the educational needs of active duty service members and their families and veterans.
Why is Jefferson considered the Jewel of the North Country?
* More than 25,000 alumni
* 40+ associate degrees and certificates for career preparation or transfer
* Local access to bachelor’s and advanced degrees through partner institutions in the Jefferson Higher Education Center
* Lifelong learning for adults and youth through personal interest and professional development workshops
* Business and industry workforce training
* Assistance for entrepreneurs and start-ups through the Small Business Development Center
* Community-based research through the Center for Community Studies
* Social and cultural enrichment opportunities for the entire Watertown/Fort Drum region