Types of Aid
SUNY Jefferson
COVID-19 Resources and Information

Types of Aid

Financial aid comes in several forms: grants, scholarships, college employment and loans. It is available through various sources, primarily the federal and state governments, the Jefferson Community College Foundation, civic organizations, and local foundations. 

New in 2022, NYS expanded TAP eligibility to part-time students.

Learn more about the options available to you at Jefferson. 

This type of financial aid is offered through the federal and state governments and based on certain criteria helps reduce the cost of college. NYS Excelsior Scholarship and Part-Time Scholarship info is listed here, as well Foundation opportunities.

This financial aid option does require you to take a loan that needs to be repaid to help with your college costs.  We focus on federal loans, but there private loan options too.

You can work on campus and earn money to help with your college expenses. There are hundred of positions to apply for and it also helps build your resume.


Grants (or gift aid)

Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grants are awards to help undergraduates pay for their education after high school. The Federal Pell Grant Program is the largest federal student aid program. These grants provide a "foundation" of financial aid, to which aid from other federal and non-federal sources may be added. Grants do not have to be paid back. Awards will vary and not all students are eligible. Students are allowed the equivalent of 12 full time semesters of Pell. Students who enroll part-time will have additional semesters of eligibility.

Required Application for all: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is an award to help pay for your education after high school. It is for undergraduates only, and it does not have to be paid back. These awards will be given to independent students who are determined to have the highest financial need based on information provided from your FAFSA. The availability of FSEOG funds at the school is limited and will be awarded on a first-come, first serve basis.

Required application:Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

The Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is a grant program for New York State residents attending college in New York State. Undergraduate students are eligible for a maximum of 8 semesters of TAP; up to 6 can be used at a community college.
TAP awards vary according to your tuition, family NYS net taxable income, level of study, and type of institution. The award, including any NYS scholarship or award, cannot exceed your tuition. TAP requires full-time enrollment.

Required applications: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Express TAP application (ETA).

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)

Aid for part-time study (APTS) is a grant available for part-time undergraduate study. Eligibility depends on income. Awards are determined by the Financial Services Office. Contact the Financial Services Office for an application and further information.

Required application: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and Application for Aid for Part-Time Study.

New York became the first state in the nation to offer tuition-free college at public colleges and universities for families making up to $110,000 per year. Does this mean if you meet eligibility requirements, you could attend Jefferson tuition-free? Yes!

Students applying for the Excelsior Scholarship must also complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and TAP applications.

You can learn more about the Excelsior Scholarship on the NYS Higher Education Services Corporation website. The most updated information is published here.

New York State Part-time Scholarship Award Program

The New York State Part-time Scholarship (PTS) Award Program provides tuition awards to students attending a SUNY or CUNY community college who are enrolled in at least 6 but less than 12 credits each term. You must apply through the HESC website, visit their page for more information

Other New York State Scholarships

Other New York State scholarships are available. Please visit NYS Higher Education Services website for more information.

Through the Jefferson Community College Foundation and the generosity of its donors, numerous scholarships are available to Jefferson students. Scholarships are available for freshmen, continuing, nontraditional and active duty military students.

Awards range from $100 to full tuition; the amounts and availability of the awards are subject to change. The online application information below is for fall students attending Jefferson.

Over 270 scholarships are awarded each, so apply each year! 

Did you know 82% of Jefferson students receive financial aid. You can be one of these college students.

Federal Student Loans

We always encourage students to apply for ALL federal and state grants, as well as any college, private or community scholarships before considering a student loan. Once you have exhausted these options, federal student loans may be an appropriate solution to help with your expenses.  Always remember YOU MUST REPAY STUDENT LOANS!

There are several types of federal student loans, such as annual and lifetime loan limits, with fees and interest rates, and repayment terms and conditions.  You will find more information about Federal Loans on the Federal Student Aid website

Student loans are real loans, just like a car loan or a mortgage. You must repay a student loan after you leave college even if your financial circumstances become difficult or you do not complete your program.  If you have other means to pay for your college expenses, we recommend that you consider using these means before applying for a student loan.

Student Loans are part of a financial aid package.  In order to receive a student loan, your first step is to complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

What is a Direct Stafford Loan?

The U.S. Department of Education provides Direct Stafford Loans (Direct Loans) to eligible college students based on financial need and other specific eligibility requirements. There are two types of Direct Loans, subsidized and unsubsidized:

  • Subsidized - This is need based and eligibility is determined by the FAFSA.  The federal government pays the interest on this loan while you are enrolled at least half-time in 6 credit hours, during the six-month grace period after graduation or withdrawal, and during authorized periods of deferment. 
  • Unsubsidized – You are responsible for interest from the date your loan funds are disbursed until it is paid in full. You may choose to pay the interest charged on the loan or allow it to be capitalized (added to the loan principal) until you start repayment after you cease enrollment.  Whenever possible, we recommend that you pay the interest as it is assessed to minimize your total cost of borrowing. 

How do I apply for a Direct Loan at Jefferson?

The Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is available from the federal government to assist parents in meeting the cost of their child’s education. These loans are made to parents of dependent undergraduate students who are registered at least half time (six credits or more) and are matriculated in a degree or certificate program.

Repayment begins 60 days after the last disbursement (for example: after the Spring disbursement for a Fall/Spring loan). Eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid Office, and the amount borrowed may not exceed the cost of attendance less any other financial aid the student is eligible for.

To borrow a PLUS loan for a student, the parent must be the student’s biological or adoptive mother or father. A stepparent is also eligible to borrow a PLUS loan if his/her income and assets were reported on the FAFSA. A legal guardian is not considered a parent for a PLUS loan. The Federal Direct Loan Servicer will complete a credit check on the parent borrower prior to approval.

The U.S. Dept. of Education has approved the following interest rate for Federal Direct PLUS Loans: AFTER JULY 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020

  • Direct PLUS Loans Parents and Graduate or Professional Students 7.08%

Plus Application Process:

Students, and their parents, must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the student by using “FAFSA on the Web” at https://studentaid.gov/.  Students must be in good financial aid standing and should accept what is offered to them in student loan eligibility.  Once the FAFSA has been completed, the Federal Direct Parent Loan (PLUS) application process can be found on this form:

Federal Direct PLUS Loan Instructions

This is not a guaranteed loan. The parent must apply and be credit approved.

If the parent is denied, they may add a co-borrower to the loan and retry for approval.  Or, they have the option to allow the student to replace the parent loan with a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan of up to $4,000 for a Freshman/Sophomore per academic year, please contact Financial Services for more information. A new loan counseling requirement for applicants who are determined to have an adverse credit history, but who qualify for a Direct PLUS Loan by documenting extenuating circumstances or obtaining an endorser.  The applicant must complete the counseling on the https://studentaid.gov/ Web site (under the Parent Borrowers tab – please note that this is NOT the same as the student’s required entrance loan counseling).

Request for Additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loan due to Parent PLUS Loan Denial Form

PLEASE NOTE: The parent PLUS loan amount could be higher than the student loan.

If you have questions about student loans you can check our Financial Literacy Resource page, our Frequently Asked Questions or please contact the JCC Financial Services Office at 315 786-2350 and we can help you! 

The State University of New York at Jefferson Community College works diligently to ensure that its officers, employees, and agents avoid conflicts of interest in connection with their responsibilities relating to providing and administering student loans for our students. In accordance with state and federal law, the following activities are prohibited; for applicable state and federal law, please contact the Financial Services Office. Please read the full Loan Code of Conduct here.

Inceptia LogoYou’re not alone when it comes to student loans. Jefferson Community College has partnered with Inceptia, a division of National Student Loan Program (NSLP), to provide you with FREE assistance on your Federal student loan obligations to ensure successful and comfortable loan repayment. Inceptia’s friendly customer representatives may reach out to you if your loan(s) become delinquent.

Inceptia is not a collection agency. We’ve partnered with them to help you explore a wide variety of possibilities such as alternative repayment plans, deferment, consolidation, discharge, forgiveness, and forbearance options. Inceptia will stay in touch with you via phone calls, letters, and/or emails to help you find answers to your questions and solutions to your issues.

For additional resources including information on repayment options, please visit Inceptia’s Federal Student Loan Overview website at Inceptia.org/FAQ.


Campus employment 

Jefferson Community College’s student worker program includes Federal Work Study and Student Aid.  The difference between the two programs is the source of the funds:  Federal Work Study Program funds are provided by the federal government and Student Aid funds are provided by the college budget.  Guidelines differ between the two programs. 

Eligibility Requirements for the Federal Work Study Program

1. U.S. citizen or in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose with the intention of becoming a permanent resident.
2. Matriculated and currently enrolled for a minimum of 6 credit hours.
3. Display financial need as determined by the Financial Services Office.
4. Apply for Federal aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Eligibility Requirements for the Student Aid Program

1. U.S. citizen or possess proper INS paperwork.
2. Matriculated and currently enrolled.

The overall Jefferson student employment program’s primary goal is to provide financial assistance to students to pay their college expenses.  The secondary goal is to provide a meaningful job experience, and thirdly to assist in the operation of our campus.

Most positions average between 6-12 hours per week.  When you interview, ask the employer about anticipated work hours.  You will be paid every two weeks with a paycheck for the number of hours you worked.

Take Note!

Work Study is included in your financial aid package if you:

  • Indicate on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) that you are  interested in a work study position


  • Are financially eligible for the work study program.

If you did not indicate on the FAFSA that you were interested in a work study position, contact the Financial Services Office to see if you qualify.

The above does not guarantee you a position.  You must actively seek a work study position to obtain employment. 

It is important to contact Financial Services at (315) 786-2437 for work study to be removed from your account if it was included on your financial aid award letter and you have decided not to seek employment under this program.  Work Study may reduce your loan eligibility if the Financial Services Office has not been informed.

Obtaining Campus Employment at Jefferson

  1. Apply for financial aid by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  2. Check your SOAR account or with Financial Services to see if you qualify for the Federal Work Study program and/or the Student Aid program.
  3. Visit our Student Employment page for all details. 

Some aid, such as grants and scholarships are considered "gift aid" and does not generally need to be repaid.


Enrollment Services

(315) 786-2437
Jules Center, building 6, suite 6-010

Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.