Internet eMail Policy
Jefferson Community College acts as a service provider to supply access to the Internet, including electronic mail. In support of the College mission, this access is provided to the College community to:
- Support instruction
- Provide access to information resources for students, faculty and staff research
- Enhance the ability of faculty and staff to maintain contact with colleagues and information
resources in their fields
- Support various administrative functions of the College
- Provide electronic communications
In accordance with campus and SUNY security practices, the New York State Information Security Breach and Notification Act, and commitment to protect user privacy and to maintain machines in optimal working order, measures to prevent adware/spyware/malware on campus-owned computers will be taken according to this policy.
STATEMENT OF POLICY:
- Email provided by Jefferson Community College for faculty and staff is for College
- Access to email and the Internet is a privilege provided at the discretion of the
College and as such may be revoked.
- All messages are the property of Jefferson Community College.
- Except as provided by applicable laws, regulations or other College policies, the
content of electronic communications is not by itself a basis for disciplinary action.
- Unlawful communications, as defined by law, are prohibited.
- Student email is provided through a contract with an outside vendor. Students are
expected to use this email responsibly and in accordance with all applicable JCC;
SUNY policies; policies of the contracted vendor; and, local, state and federal laws.
- Students are responsible for information forwarded to them by the College through
the College provided student email.
- Access to and use of student email is considered a privilege accorded at the discretion
of Jefferson Community College. The College maintains the right to immediately withdraw
the access and use of student email when there is reason to believe that violations
of law or College policies have occurred.
- Users of student email are strictly prohibited from accessing files and information
other than their own.
- Anyone accessing the Internet and Electronic Mail through the College’s services shall
be expected to act in accordance with College policies, contracts and rules of conduct
and federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- The College requires virus protection for all devices attached to the college network.
- The College shall provide a list of usage rules to assist users in understanding the
purpose of Internet and Email.
- The Board of Trustees hereby authorizes the President, or his/her designee, to develop
and establish appropriate standards and procedures to implement and enforce this policy.