Jefferson Community College prohibits tobacco use, in any form, in all indoor areas on campus, in designated smoke-free zones, and within 20 feet of any building entrance, exit, window, or ventilation system, unless otherwise identified. This policy is in accordance with New York State’s Clean Air Act effective July 24, 2003.
|4||McVean Student Center|
|8||Child Care Center|
|E||Extended Learning Center|
|15||Deans Collaborative Learning Center|
|17||Health & Wellness Center|
Empty cell space - no header
|A||Parking Lot A - Staff and Faculty|
|B||Parking Lot B - Short Term Visitor|
|C||Parking Lot C|
|D||Parking Lot D|
|E||Parking Lot E|
|F||Parking Lot F|
|Accessible Public Parking|
Empty cell space - no header
|Smoking in designated areas only.|
|Blue emergency phones connect directly to 9-1-1.|
- include all sidewalks and grassy areas adjacent to buildings, the Quad, the athletic fields and bleachers, the Childcare Center vicinity, and the area designated as non-smoking on the attached campus map.
Designated tobacco-use areas
- are indicated on the campus map above and are identified on campus.
- The policy/procedures are communicated through a variety of mediums including the student handbook, faculty and staff handbook, the college website and campus signage.
- The College is committed to providing education and assistance to both discourage individuals from starting to smoke and to help smokers in their efforts to quit. A variety of information and resources regarding smoking prevention and cessation are available from the Health Office.
- If security becomes aware of a violation of the smoking policy, security staff will inform the violator of the College’s smoking policy and request that they stop smoking or move to a designated smoking area.
- If an employee notices a smoking policy violation, the employee may contact security or, if the employee feels comfortable doing so, he or she may inform the violator of the College’s smoking policy and request that they stop smoking or move to a designated smoking area. Individuals should not become confrontational with violators. In instances where a violator refuses to comply with the policy, security can be contacted.
- Incidents of refusal to comply or confrontational response will be documented on a Security Incident Report and forwarded to the appropriate campus authority. Incidents involving employees and visitors will be reported to the VP for Administration and Finance or designee. Incidents involving students will be reported to the Vice President for Students or designee.
Reporting and Tracking Violations
- Violations of the smoking policy are recorded on the Smoking Policy Violation log. All violations will be kept on file and tracked in the Security Office.
- When security receives a third documentation of a violation of the policy, the employee,
visitor or student will be referred for adjudication to the appropriate campus official.
- Repeat violations by employees or campus visitors will be reported to the VP for Administration and Finance or designee by providing the dates and any details of the violations.
- Repeat violations by students will be reported to the Vice President for Students or designee. Security will provide the dates and any details of the violations.
- Cases involving employees charged with three violations of the smoking policy will be handled in accordance with College personnel procedures.
- Cases involving students charged with three violations of the smoking policy will be adjudicated in accordance with the student code of conduct.
- All other cases will be handled by the Vice President for Administration and Finance.