You need to be in the right classes to complete your degree requirements as quickly as possible and the best tool to help you do this is meeting with your academic advisor. Plan to meet with your advisor a few times a year to stay on track with your degree requirements and keep you well informed of academic policies that apply to you.
Advisors help you
- Understand how your degree can meet your career and academic goals
- Plan your schedule to meet program requirements
- Make changes in your class schedules – adding, dropping and withdrawals
- Keep up to date on academic policies and important deadlines
- Address academic issues that may arise
- Connect with appropriate campus resources (tutoring, career services, transfer planning, personal counseling, etc.)
Who is my advisor?
As a new or returning student your first advising session may be with someone from
our new student advising staff in Enrollment Services.
If you are a degree-seeking student you are assigned to a faculty advisor in your program of study, early in your first semester. Your advisor is listed in our student portal myJCC. Login, then click Deeplinks/Quicklinks, Who’s My Advisor.
Your advisor is available and ready to help
- Available during office hours and by appointment
- Provide direction for program progress toward your career/educational goals
- Provide relevant, current academic information
- Refer you for assistance in solving academic or personal problems
Advising is one piece of your success
This is your college journey and you are responsible for achieving your educational and career goals with the help of many at the College.
You are expected to:
- Explore educational and career options that interest you
- Create realistic educational and career goals
- Be informed about degree and transfer requirements
- Take responsibility for your decisions
- Meet with your advisor as necessary to ensure you are moving along
- Schedule appointments with your advisor and keep those appointments
- Jefferson Advising Syllabus
- How to Register Online
- Degree Audit Video Tutorial
- Accessing the myJCC Portal
- Transfer Credit Evaluation Policies
New students - the start of your academic advisement
When you are accepted to the College you will be advised by our friendly staff in Enrollment Services. Contact them to make your first appointment.
Jules Center, building 6, suite 6-010
Monday - Thursday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Tuesdays, open until 7:00 p.m.
Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Current students - meet with your faculty advisor
Haven't met your advisor yet or don't know who they are? Your advisor is listed in our student portal myJCC. Login, then click Deeplinks/Quicklinks, Who’s My Advisor.
Can't reach your advisor or it's outside of the normal semester? Contact your academic
division for help.
Liberal Arts Division
Math, Science, Technology & Health Division
Workforce Development & Business Division