Choosing Your Major
Undecided about your major?
No, not at all! Every major at JCC has foundation courses that all college students need to take, regardless of the major. Think about enrolling in our One-Credit Career Course, (INT 102), to help you learn more about yourself and career planning. You can also take an introductory course in your area of interest. Once you have made some career decisions, you can focus on the specific coursework required for your degree. Career counselors and faculty will assist you along the way so you won’t miss a step!
This time frame varies from student to student, but we encourage you to finalize your decision by the end of your first semester, and hopefully, by the end of your first year. That way, you will be on track for scheduling your future courses, and keep you on track to complete your degree requirements in a timely manner!
We have a program for that! Apply now to enroll and then make an appointment with a career counselor who can help you explore a vast array of career fields and help you target occupations related to those fields. You can also start as an Individual Studies major and create your own path!
Career Development Terms
Let us help you ease your anxiety! Familiarize yourself with some helpful terms that will get you moving toward a decision about your college major and your future career path!
- Career Planning: A process that helps you plan your personal, educational, and career-related goals related to a career field and/or change of one’s career field.
- Career Counseling: A personalized, one-on-one session with a career counselor to review your personal,
educational, and career-related thoughts in a confidential and supportive environment.
- Career Counselor: A trained individual to help you identify, and work through your thoughts and goals
to identify a career path.
- Major: Also known as the “discipline,” or “academic program” that you will study in college.
- Academic Program of Study: Also known as the “discipline,” or “major” that you will study in college.
- Degree: This is the designation of the credit that you are granted, based on the completed
of your coursework in your major. At JCC you will earn either an Associate in Arts
degree (A.A.), an Associate in Science degree (A.S.), or an Associate in Applied
Science degree (A.A.S.).
- Academic Advisor: A trained Individual available to help you achieve academic and personal success,
stay on track with your degree requirements, and keep you well informed of academic
policies that apply to you.
- Career Inventory: A written or computerized instrument used in career counseling to supplement the career counseling process, helping you further assess how your interests, skills, personality, and values relate to the career paths you are seeking.
Contact Career Services
Deans Collaborative Learning Center, building 15, first floor
Fax: (315) 786-6574
Director of Career Planning and Job Placement
Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
(Summer: Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.)