Don’t wait to schedule your placement test! Classes are starting to fill and we want to make sure that you are getting in the correct classes. You can schedule your test below by clicking on the tab that says “Schedule My Test” and you can choose an available date. Feel free to call or email us with any questions at 315-755-0300 or firstname.lastname@example.org . We are open Monday-Wednesday from 8-4.
Congratulations on enrolling at Jefferson! Sometimes a placement test is needed to make sure that you are placed in the right math and English classes. Placement tests are free and designed to help you succeed here at Jefferson. They are meant only to make sure that you are taking the classes appropriate for your skill levels in reading, English, and math. You can’t register for classes until you have taken your required placement tests or have been waived from testing requirements, so try to get them done right away.
How do I know if I need to test?
- If you graduated high school more than 2 years ago, you will have to take placement tests in both math and English/reading.
- If you graduated from high school within the last 2 years
- you will automatically be placed in an appropriate math class based on your high school grades. If you are not happy with your math placement, feel free to ask to be tested for math. You never know, you might score higher!
- you will automatically be placed in appropriate English and Reading classes based on your NYS English Regents Exam score. If you are not happy with your English and/or reading placement, feel free to ask to be tested for English. If you did not take the NYS English Regents, you will NOT need to test English/reading if you…
• Scored 500 or higher on the EBRW section of the SAT
• Scored 22 or higher on the English section of the ACT
Schedule your test
Visit our online appointment scheduler and pick a date and time that work for your schedule.
Planning to be on campus soon - ask if you can test at this time.
Be on time to the test
Arrive on time to your testing appointment. Please bring the following:
• Jefferson student J#
• Photo ID
• Pencil or pen
• Social security number
Prepare to be successful
We want you to do well and succeed to the best of your ability and we offer several
resources to help you study for Accuplacer placement tests. Make sure you study and take your time. The tests are not timed.
Here are the study materials again:
- Online Accuplacer Test Prep
- Accuplacer iPhone App (highly recommended)
- Presentation with helpful videos and links - includes grammar, reading, essay structure and math videos
When and where do I take my test?
You can test following your acceptance to Jefferson. You will receive an acceptance letter with your Jefferson ID number (J#) and information about placement testing.
Our testing center is located the first floor of the Deans Collaborative Learning Center (building 15). If you have time during your orientation or another visit to campus, ask if you can take your test then. Or, schedule an appointment to take it when you have the time - visit our online appointment scheduler. The test is not timed.
Live more than 50 miles away from Jefferson?
You may be able to take your placement test at another location. Please call us at (315) 755-0300 for more information about alternate testing sites. Note: You will be responsible for any fees charged by the alternate testing site.
The Testing Center will email you offsite testing procedures and study links. Please read directions carefully.
Once you return the “signature required” documents (CPT Contract and FERPA Form), The Testing Center staff will create a voucher for you to complete testing at the selected alternate location. You will be notified via email when the voucher has been created and you will also receive an email from Accuplacer with your voucher number and information on how to schedule your placement test at the selected testing location.
Once testing is complete, The Testing Center will automatically receive your testing scores and will be in contact with you within 48 hours of testing to let you know your next steps.
How do I request accommodations?
If you have a documented disability and require accommodations other than extended time (all tests are untimed), please call the placement testing office or our coordinator of disability services at (315) 786-2335.
Top 5 things to know about testing
1. You are not alone – testing is necessary for most incoming students!
2. It is true, tests are not always fun – but this one helps get you into the right level classes so you can be successful!
3. Studying is not overrated. It will help you score higher on your test!
4. Testing is meant to be helpful and make you more successful in college – so don’t stress!
5. If you do not score well – it’s ok. We have classes to help you get college-ready!
Looking for CLEP or DANTES?
Jefferson Community College is a testing site for the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) credit by exam programs. Earn college credit for what you have already learned through on-the-job training, professional development, military service, independent study, prior course work, cultural pursuits and internships.
Contact the Testing Center
Deans Collaborative Learning Center, first floor (Building 15)
Hours of operation (fall & spring semester):
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Evening and weekends as needed.
Closed Fridays in the summer
Accommodative Accessibility & Testing Services Coordinator