International Students
SUNY Jefferson
Schedule an Admissions Appointment

International Students

At Jefferson, students come from different countries like Australia, Vietnam, and Malawi. Tuition is affordable, and you can get a world-class education through the State University of New York (SUNY). You can transfer your credits to schools like Syracuse University and Cornell, and it's easy to transfer to other SUNY schools. We have popular majors like business, computer science, engineering, and nursing. Plus, we offer unique programs like human services and zoo technology.

International Student Visa and Financial Requirements

To study in the U.S., an international student needs an F-1 student visa. International students can't get federal or state financial aid. When you apply, you must prove that you can pay for tuition, books, and living expenses for your first year at least.

Checklist for International Applicants 

  1. Application Form

    Complete Jefferson’s free online application for admission.
  2. Transcripts

    1. Copy of your high school transcript, translated into English if necessary. If our office is not able to verify your high school transcript, we may ask for an official copy and/or an evaluation. 
    2. If you went to college outside the U.S., we need an official copy of your college transcript. It should be translated into English if needed. We also need an official course-by-course evaluation. You can order your credit evaluation from any NACES-approved credential evaluation company. Many students use World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).
    3. If you are studying at a U.S. high school or college as an F-1 student, we need an official transcript from your school. After you are accepted to Jefferson, you must transfer your SEVIS record from your current school to Jefferson. 
  3. Proof of English Language Proficiency

    If English is not your native language, you must show proof that you are proficient in English. This could include:
    1. TOEFL IBT score of 61 or higher
    2. IELTS score of 5.5
    3. Proof of successful study at an English-medium school in the U.S. or another English speaking country
  4. Proof of funding

    You need to prove that you have enough money to pay for your education for at least the first year. This includes tuition, books, and living expenses. You will need to complete the International Student Financial Statement (FSA-4) form and return it. Include your completed application, all official funding documentation, and any required supplementary documents. 
  5. Copy of your passport

    Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond your period of stay in the U.S.

How can I submit the application?

Submit all your documents to However, if you are a transfer student, please note that the college credit evaluation should not be included. We may request additional information or ask for original copies if necessary.

What are the next steps?

Once we have received your application, we will let you know that it is complete and give you your Jefferson student ID number.
Here are the next steps: 

  1. Set up your I-20 shipment
    If you are not in the U.S. or Canada, please set up express shipment for your acceptance packet and I-20. Jefferson Community College has partnered with an online service that allows students to easily set up shipping and track your package after it is sent.
    1. Go to  (works best with Internet Explorer & Mozilla Firefox browsers)
    2. Click on "Sign up" under the Students section
    3. Register for an account by completing the online form. Have the your Jefferson student number, your mailing address, e-mail address, phone number and credit card information ready.
    4. Email so we know to look out for your shipment information
    5. For any difficulties, use the “Help” link in the eshipGlobal site for step-by-step instructions
  2. Get your visa
    Once you receive your I-20, you should pay the I-901 SEVIS user fee at You can then set up a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate near you. Note: Canadian students do not require a visa, but they must pay the SEVIS fee and have the proof of payment and their I-20 ready when crossing the border to begin studies.
  3. Send vaccination records
    You need to give copies of your official vaccination records. These records should come from a doctor or health clinic. Make sure they are translated into English. These records must show proof of two past measles, mumps or rubella (MMR) vaccinations. Instead of showing vaccination records, you can also use lab tests that prove you're immune to measles, mumps, and rubella. These can be sent to
  4. Transfer students in the U.S.
    If you are currently attending a high school or college in the United States as an F-1 student, contact your current school to initiate the transfer of your SEVIS record once you are admitted to Jefferson. We can then issue you a transfer I-20. Please download our SEVIS Transfer-In Verification Form to begin the process.

Transfer pathway to SUNY Potsdam

Our international students are guaranteed transfer to nearby SUNY Potsdam once they have at least:

  1. One semester or more of full-time study at Jefferson
  2. Minimum 2.25 GPA
  3. Completion of English 101 with a 2.0 or higher
  4. Submission of an international transfer application by the applicable deadline


We are happy to help! Contact us at anytime with questions on the application process or your options for study.

Enrollment Services
(315) 786-2437
Jules Center, building 6, suite 6-010

Office Hours
Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.