Our international students come from many diverse countries – from Australia, to Vietnam, to Malawi. Jefferson offers affordable tuition, a world-class State University of New York (SUNY) education, and transfer agreements with such schools as Syracuse University and Cornell as well as easy transfer to partner SUNY schools. We offer high-demand majors such as business, computer science, engineering, and nursing, and unique programs such as human services and zoo technology.
Transfer pathway to SUNY Potsdam
Our international students are guaranteed transfer to nearby SUNY Potsdam once they have at least:
- One semester or more of full-time study at Jefferson
- Minimum 2.25 GPA
- Completion of English 101 with a 2.0 or higher
- Submission of an international transfer application by the applicable deadline
ESL pathway from Syracuse University English Language Institute
Still need some time to study English before starting college classes? Jefferson Community College has a guaranteed transfer agreement with Syracuse University’s English Language Institute (ELI). Students studying at Syracuse ELI who pass level 3 (Intermediate) at ELI with a score of 70 or above can meet Jefferson’s requirement for English proficiency for admission without having to submit qualifying TOEFL or IELTS scores for admission.
Who is an international student?
An international student is someone who needs an F-1 student visa to study in the U.S. Because there is no federal or state financial aid for international students, you must show that you are able to pay for tuition, books and living expenses for at least your first year when you apply.
Checklist for International Applicants
Application FormComplete Jefferson’s free online application for admission.
- Copy of your high school transcript, translated into English if necessary. If our office is not able to verify your high school transcript, we may ask for an official copy and/or an evaluation.
- If you attend(ed) college outside of the U.S., we require an official copy of any college transcript, translated into English if necessary, and an official course-by-course evaluation. You can order your credit evaluation from any NACES-approved credential evaluation company. Many students use World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).
- If you are currently attending a high school or college in the U.S. as an F-1 student, we will need an official transcript from your current institution. Once admitted into Jefferson, you will need to transfer your SEVIS record from your current institution to Jefferson.
Proof of English Language ProficiencyIf English is not your native language, you must show proof that you are proficient in English. This could include:
- TOEFL IBT score of 61 or higher
- IELTS score of 5.5
- Proof of successful study at an English-medium school in the U.S. or another English speaking country
Proof of fundingProvide verification of financial resources to support your education for at least the first year of tuition, books and living expenses. You will need to complete the International Student Financial Statement (FSA-4) form and return it, as well as all official documentation of funding and required supplementary documents, with your completed application.
Copy of your passport
Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond your period of stay in the U.S.
How can I submit the application?
All documents (except the college credit evaluation, if you are a transfer student) may be emailed to email@example.com. We may request additional information or ask for original copies if necessary.
What are the next steps?
Once we have received your application, we will let you know that it is complete and
give you your Jefferson student ID number.
Here are the next steps:
- Set up your I-20 shipment
If you are not in the U.S. or Canada, please set up express shipment for your acceptance packet and I-20. Jefferson Community College has partnered with an online service that allows students to easily set up shipping and track your package after it is sent.
- Go to https://study.eshipglobal.com (works best with Internet Explorer & Mozilla Firefox browsers)
- Click on "Sign up" under the Students section
- Register for an account by completing the online form. Have the your Jefferson student number, your mailing address, e-mail address, phone number and credit card information ready.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org so we know to look out for your shipment information
- For any difficulties, use the “Help” link in the eshipGlobal site for step-by-step instructions
- Get your visa
Once you receive your I-20, you should pay the I-901 SEVIS user fee at fmjfee.com. You can then set up a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate near you. Note: Canadian students do not require a visa, but they must pay the SEVIS fee and have the proof of payment and their I-20 ready when crossing the border to begin studies.
- Send vaccination records
You must provide copies of official vaccination records from a physician or health clinic with an English translation. These records must show proof of two past measles, mumps or rubella (MMR) vaccinations. In place of a vaccination proof, lab work which shows immunity to measles, mumps and rubella is an acceptable alternative proof. These can be sent to email@example.com.
- Transfer students in the U.S.
If you are currently attending a high school or college in the United States as an F-1 student, contact your current school to initiate the transfer of your SEVIS record once you are admitted to Jefferson. We can then issue you a transfer I-20. Please download our SEVIS Transfer-In Verification Form to begin the process.
We are happy to help! Contact us at anytime with questions on the application process or your options for study.
Jules Center, building 6, suite 6-010
Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.