Military & Veteran Students
More than 40% of Jefferson students are affiliated with the military
We understand your unique needs and challenges and will do everything possible to help you meet your college goals. With a main campus location as well as a location on Fort Drum, we have advisors ready to help you build a degree plan that works for you.
Benefits a New York State college
Our students enjoy the excellence of a State University of New York education at a very affordable tuition rate – made better by access to a full array of financial supports for active duty, family members and veterans.
Jefferson is the smart local choice
We can offer you classes online, on our main campus in Watertown, and directly on Fort Drum. We are the only local college campus within a 60 mile radius and we know how to serve our military and veteran students.
How to apply
Apply year-round for free
- Apply using our free online application
- Request transcripts from your high school and any colleges you have attended
- Apply for financial aid and scholarships
- Active duty Army, please apply through Go Army Ed
After you are accepted
You will receive a letter with your next steps and any other steps you need to complete.
If you are a veteran, our staff will process your application for veteran benefit. We will process their Joint Service Transcript and have it sent to Jefferson and in most cases provide their initial advising sessions and register you for classes. You will begin to benefit from our dedicated veteran services the moment you apply.
Financial support for military and veteran students
- Military and veteran students are encouraged to apply for all financial aid you may
be eligible for.
The federal FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is available after October 1st each year and should be completed as you complete your Admissions applications.
- Access to state financial aid such as TAP (New York’s Tuition Assistance Program) as well as federal financial aid for qualifying students
- Use of Tuition Assistance (TA) for approved active duty soldiers
- If you would like to have applicable aid applied to your bill, we encourage you to complete the FAFSA and state applications by June 1st for Fall semester and December 1st for Spring.
- In-state tuition rates for soldiers and their eligible family members posted in New York
- Support for qualifying military spouses using MyCAA funding up to $2,000/year
- Support for veterans using their veteran benefits
- Veteran students have a support staff devoted to their success, including full-time staff, counseling on using veterans funding, student employment opportunities, specialized tutoring and support services, and a dedicated study area.
Jules Center, building 6, suite 6-010
Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Tuesdays, open until 6:00 p.m.
Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Jefferson Director of Community Services
Fort Drum Army Education Center
4300 Camp Hale Rd
Fort Drum, NY 13602
Education Coordinator for Veteran Services
John W. Deans Collaborative Learning Center
Building 15, first floor
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m; Summer 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.