Admission Requirements
SUNY Jefferson
COVID-19 Resources and Information

Admission Requirements

Getting into college can seem like a big project – but it doesn’t have to be. Our process is simple, and we are here to help you.

High school graduate

To be admitted, you should be graduated or about to graduate from a recognized, accredited high school. If you have a special circumstance such as a GED, home school, early college, or are an international student, please read the detailed information below.

Easy application

1. Fill out our free online application. This gives us all the information we need to create your official student record at Jefferson

2. Order transcripts from your high school and any colleges you attended. This will allow us to accept your application, and give you transfer credits.

       Send transcripts to Enrollment Services,  Jefferson Community College, 1220 Coffeen St.,
       Watertown, NY  13601

We require official copies for college transcripts to be sent by mail or secure electronic transmission. High school transcripts can be mailed, faxed, sent electronically or emailed by your school to

We are a local community college with a broad reach

Are you a resident of Jefferson County? If so, you are given first priority for admission. The College also welcomes applications from students in other counties, states and countries.

Jefferson Community College is a member of the State University of New York. We are one of 30 community colleges and part of the 64 campus network. With the power of SUNY, we make it easy to cross-register or transfer to a SUNY school to continue your education.

Want to check out our programs of study and look at all your options?

You can choose your program when you apply! Don’t worry, you can also change your mind about your program of study after meeting with your advisor, and we have career counselors who can help you decide what to study based on your career goals.

The College reserves the right to determine full or part-time study, admission to certain programs and matriculated status.

Get your financial aid started

Apply for financial aid and scholarships 

On campus housing

Interested in living on campus?  East Hall is a all-suite residence hall to nearly 300 full-time students

Estimate your financial aid

Use the Net Price Calculator to estimate your financial aid


Don’t fall under general admission? There are many ways to fit admission requirements.

Want to apply without a recognized high school diploma?

  • If you do not have a recognized high school diploma but are past high school age, you must successfully pass an Ability to Benefit (ATB) test to be admitted. Once admitted, you will need to complete a 24-credit hour access program required for the equivalency diploma, or by finishing a high school equivalency exam or through earned college credit.
  • Diplomas such as IEP and annotated are not valid documents unless the school certifies you have met all requirements, including successful completion of the New York State Regents competency tests.
  • Federal financial aid is not available until the high school equivalency is completed. However, New York state residents who study full-time and meet eligibility requirements may be able to get financial aid through the state Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). Students interested in this option should submit an application for aid.
  • If you are a motivated high school student 16 years old or older and want to start college early, you can still be admitted to a degree program. This admission will be based on individual academic preparation, approved college test scores, and a recommendation from your school. See Early College Admission.

Do you have a high school diploma from an online or correspondence school?

With a diploma from an online, correspondence school or other non-traditional school, you must provide proof that the state you were living in at the time you graduated recognizes the diploma as meeting high school graduation requirements.

Have you completed a home schooled education?

Home-schooled applicants must provide a high school transcript and a letter from the school superintendent in the district in which the student resides. This letter should attest to the applicant’s approved home school education. Home schooled applicants from other states must provide verification that the home school graduation equivalency is recognized, authorized, or approved by the state education department where the education was attained.

Do you have a high school diploma from a high school outside the U.S.?

If you graduated or are about to graduate from a high school or college outside the U.S., you may still be admitted if the high school and/or college are approved in the country where you graduated.

For high school transcripts and diplomas, you must submit a copy of the original document as well as a translation in English. If our Admissions department is not able to verify the accreditation of the high school, we will request that you get an outside evaluation from a NACES approved credential evaluator.

If you are submitting college transcripts, those must be accompanied by a course-by-course evaluation from a NACES approved credential evaluator.

International students are welcome at Jefferson.

In addition to transcripts, students who want to attend on an F-1 student visa must also give proof of English proficiency and meet other admission requirements.

Considering Early Admission?

Are you a motivated high school student? Earn college credit while still in high school!
College-level courses may be taken for personal enrichment or to meet graduation requirements. Admission will be determined by academic preparation, a recommendation by the high school counselor, and approval from parents or guardian. Students are not eligible to receive federal financial aid while still enrolled in high school, but may be eligible for state aid.

Want to come back? Readmission

If you previously attended Jefferson Community College as a degree-seeking, matriculated student and are in good standing, you are eligible to register without re-applying!

If it has been 5 or more years since you attended Jefferson Community College, you should submit a new application for admission in order to update the information in the student record. Our online application is free and quick. You may be asked to provide transcripts again from your high school if we no longer have your transcript on file.

Readmission after dismissal – If you have been academically dismissed and have not attended as a matriculated student for at least one semester, you may request readmission. You will be required to complete a success plan with an advisor before registering for classes.

Note: readmission to the college does not guarantee reinstatement of financial aid. Please contact Enrollment Services at (315) 786-2437 to determine federal and state aid eligibility.

Fresh Start

Got off to a bad start and want to return? Check out Academic Fresh Start!

Admission for a second associate’s degree – If you have already completed an associate degree at Jefferson and are seeking a second degree, you should submit an application to return. A minimum of 15 additional credit hours must be completed in order to earn the second degree.

Enrollment Services
(315) 786-2437
Jules Center, building 6, suite 6-010

Office Hours
Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.


Jefferson Community College is designated as a full opportunity college and is committed to Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination.

An applicant’s admission to Jefferson Community College is determined without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, or criminal conviction or any other basis prohibited by federal and state law.